Because the Russia-Ukraine battle enters its 88th day, we check out the primary developments.
Listed below are the important thing occasions to this point on Sunday, Could 22.
Get the most recent updates right here.
- Russian forces are intensifying efforts to seize Severodonetsk, the ultimate Ukrainian strongpoint within the japanese Luhansk area.
- Luhansk Governor Serhiy Haidai stated the one functioning hospital in Severodonetsk has simply three docs and provides for 10 days.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated the Russian military was additionally attacking town of Sloviansk, within the Donetsk, however Ukrainian forces have been holding off its advance in each main centres. Sloviansk is vital to Russia’s goal of capturing all of japanese Ukraine.
- Russia claims to have taken prisoner almost 2,500 Ukrainian fighters from the besieged Azovstal metal plant, and issues have grown about their destiny.
- Moscow launched video of Russian troops taking into custody Serhiy Volynskyy, commander of the Ukrainian Navy’s thirty sixth Particular Marine Brigade, which was one of many predominant forces defending Azovstal.
- A distinguished member of Russia’s parliament, Leonid Slutsky, stated Moscow was finding out the potential of exchanging the Azovstal fighters for Viktor Medvedchuk, a rich Ukrainian with shut ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin who faces prison prices in Ukraine.
- The Ukrainian mayor of Mariupol warned it’s dealing with a well being and sanitation “disaster” from mass burials in shallow pits throughout the ruined metropolis in addition to the breakdown of sewage methods.
- The Russian army has stated it destroyed a serious consignment of Western arms in Ukraine’s Zhytomyr area, west of Kyiv, utilizing sea-launched Kalibr cruise missiles.
- Russian missiles additionally struck gas storage services close to Odesa on the Black Beach and shot down two Ukrainian Su-25 plane and 14 drones, the army stated.
- Ukraine has dominated out agreeing to a ceasefire with Russia and stated Kyiv wouldn’t settle for any take care of Moscow that concerned ceding territory.
- Zelenskyy stated his nation is ready to alternate Russian prisoners of battle for its troops who surrendered on the Azovstal metal plant in Mariupol.
- US President Joe Biden signed a invoice to supply almost $40bn in help for Ukraine as a part of efforts to spice up army assist over Russia’s invasion, the White Home stated.
- Polish President Andrzej Duda arrived in Ukraine on an unannounced go to and can tackle the nation’s parliament on Sunday.
- Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa stated he pressed Western nations for multiple-launch rocket methods, which he stated “simply stand nonetheless” in different nations but are key to Ukraine’s success.
- In an interview with the Telegraph, British international secretary Liz Truss stated she needs to see Ukraine’s neighbour Moldova “outfitted to NATO commonplace” to protect in opposition to any threats from Russia.
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has objected to Sweden and Finland becoming a member of NATO, held cellphone calls with the leaders of the 2 nations and mentioned his issues about “terrorist” teams there.
- Zelenskyy stated he talked to Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi and confused the significance of extra sanctions on Russia and unblocking Ukrainian ports.
- Russian vitality large Gazprom halted gasoline exports to neighbouring Finland, the most recent escalation of an vitality funds dispute with Western nations.
- Russia’s transport minister stated Western-backed sanctions have “virtually damaged” logistics within the nation.